Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I think i like living in a very small town right next to a pretty big town




So today I stumbled upon a lunch that made me six different ways of happy.  Maybe seven.  And by stumbled I mean Kari & Drew mentioned it yesterday and I didn't want to miss out on some kind of undiscovered terrific.


Enter The Dairi-O.


Y'all.  
Over & over, since moving two whole hours south I run across these scenarios that feel like my childhood.  Which is strange because my childhood was, well, not the Carolinas.  


Anyway, my lunch excursion was another one of those times when every part of it was familiar in spite of never having been there before.  The Dairi-O is a little burger place that I can only imagine was probably a small-town Dairy Queen knock-off a million years ago that refused to go away.  


I liked every single thing about it ;)  


I liked the professional types walking out to their cars and presumably back to their Very Important Jobs, passing right by the families in their swimsuits sitting outside with their littles all sweaty & giggly.  

I really liked the sweet little high-schooler and her ponytail with the ribbon who took my order & my money & chatted it up a little bit with her Carolina drawl. 

I liked the burger that inexplicably tasted not at all like anywhere else but exactly like small town in a way I can't quite describe...


...and I really, really, really liked the piping hot crinkle fries that - no kidding Mary - were even yummier than Frank's.


But perhaps the very best part of all?  The frigid fountain Pepsi they served up over a bajillion tiny little ice pellets.


(Let me just take a moment here)


Rumor has it they have hand-dipped ice cream they use to create ridiculous absurdities like banana splits & hot fudge sundaes & what-not, and of course I can't be sure but I'll be very surprised if I disapprove because, you know, the ice cream, it's hand-dipped.



Anyway, this whole burger & fries experience got me to wondering...
Do y'all have any particular tastes that remind you of a different time? 
I'd love to hear about them :)



Happy Middle-of-Summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment