Tuesday, May 7, 2013

old and new, and a little old



The more I get out and about, the more I find that Winston is a fascinating city. 

It's a really strange and fun (and sometimes disconcerting) mix of old and new, with a little more old mixed in.




I've yet to run across a truly "fancy" neighborhood.  Driving down the street I will pass a few gorgeous brick colonials, an old-school A-frame or two intermixed with comfy family ranches, and then the occasional mobile home.

It's crazy, man! 

I'm not sure there are a lot of truly "bad" or upscale neighborhoods.  They're all jumbled together in a delightful hodgepodge full of random.


And y'all know how I love me some random.




There are trees galore, even right in the middle of town. 
Frankly, I can't get enough of them.




No matter where I seem to go it doesn't feel anything like city life, (except for traffic!) and I'm soaking up the history, and character, and occasional sunshine, like a sponge.


These photos were taken just minutes from downtown, literally along the side of the road near a shop we visited on a whim.  

It wasn't a park or advertised, set-aside space, just a random little spot we happened upon that sports some ancient-ish history.




I wouldn't say it feels like home yet, but I'm really liking what I see...


Of course, the crystal blue sky & balmy temperatures on this day didn't hurt one little bit :)




No comments:

Post a Comment