Monday, May 6, 2013

we both vacated and recreated, and it was swell

So it's been another full-of-the-busy week, but the better kind of busy and not the cry-our-eyes-out kind.  Unless you are two years old or four years old or 15 months old. 

With that demographic there might have been the occasional cry-fest but that's only to be expected. 

Last weekend Donna schlepped all the way down 220 again and we finally(!) made it to the beach.  It's common knowledge that we have a bit of a vacation/road trip/plans-of-any-kind curse so it has surprised no one that we've scheduled said trip three times. 

The first postponement was due to dumb Sandy, and the second time we had snow and ice and also fluish miseries.  Therefore, we were so going to the sea this time.  It was now-or-never time, and never was not an option, come stormy weather or runny noses.  

So here's how it went and aren't you sorry I'm pretending you asked?

Friday afternoon was lovely at home, and we had a very nice day meandering around and getting tickled at stupid things and eating a super yummy lunch, and perhaps the best part of all, not freezing our toes off. 

Saturday was chilly but not awful, and the sun played hide & seek all day long, which made the drive pretty and happy. When we arrived we took a long stroll down the boardwalk, and although we laughed at the mere thought of swimsuits, we were mostly okay in our jeans & sweaters & sweatshirts & what have you.

Sunday was mostly great!  We contemplated sitting on the beach for approximately three minutes but ultimately decided there was nothing at all wrong with our oceanfront balcony, which was shielded from some wind that was trying to knock us around. 

We eventually donned capris and short sleeves and took a very long walk up the boardwalk.  At one point we stumbled upon a charity event and stood around enjoying the music and dancing and general family-ness taking place, and we might have proceeded to eat even more overpriced, ocean-front goodness while pretending we didn't have a care in the world. 

Note:  "Getting away from it all" is pretty much as nice as it sounds. 
Getting away...I'm a fan.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and it's all fun & games until the rain pours, which can mean only one thing...

It's time to find my reindeer jammies and warm socks, and on Sunday evening that's exactly what I did.  The rain came rolling back, and that was the end of the sunshine for the remainder of our vacation.  It's entirely possible we ordered room service and watched a lot of television that was just "eh" and loved every minute of it. 

We drove home Tuesday evening and I'm not lying when I say we never once saw the sun.  It was hiding but good.

I was kind've bummed that I had to work while there, but it couldn't be helped seeing as how my vacation time was g-o-n-e after the events of the last six weeks, and anyway I'm not allowed to complain because how many among us can take their work to the sea with them?  Not many that's how many.

And besides, I'm not sure you're even allowed to call it work when you can hear the surf pounding, your buddy is sitting alongside pinning like a fool for her son's upcoming nuptials, AND the Pepsi is flowing freely. 

Anyhoo, that's what I did last weekend a whole week ago. If things go well I might tell you about this weekend sometime before next weekend. I'm timely and relevant like that.

(p.s.  Sorry for the sad little photographs of us but I think we are all aware of my photographical limitations and someone once said better awful than nonexistent. 
Okay it was me.  I said it, but still...)

Y'all have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment