Monday, November 1, 2010

A friend is a blessing most precious

Once upon a time, many years ago, I made a friend.  We would see each other every now and again and we would be glad.  We would say "Heeeey" in unison with big smiles and share hugs.  We would ask about the children, and we would have pleasant chit-chat about mostly not much.

She was my friend and I loved her.

Then one day, not so terribly long ago, things started to shift.  We started to make a point to see each other more often than every now and again.  We started to talk about things that mattered more than the mostly not much. 

We started to get beyond the general pleasantries that so often inhibit actual communication.  We started to talk.  Tears were shed.  Heart-prayers requested.  Love and compassion, hurt and ugliness shared.  Realness beyond the prettiness.

Many years after first meeting her, I still have a friend, but she is now family to me, a sister/friend, if you will.  An unexpected depth, and fullness, and beauty has developed.

And I am oh so very thankful

God has blessed me with several such sisters beyond my actual, real-life, born-to-the-same-parents sister.  I love them more than me because I can't even help it, and I think they know this to be true.  I'm not at all sure what my life would look like if I hadn't walked through these last 20 years or so with these precious presences in my life. 

This morning as I am still excitedly awaiting the birth of my grandson and looking forward to seeing my precious granddaughter again I'm struck anew at how not alone I am in my joy, even though I may live alone. 

Why on earth has God gifted me with such treasure? 

I have no idea, but I will never, ever stop thanking Him and telling them how very much they are loved.


holy experience
 
(A thousand gifts #81-88)

friends who remember me when I was 20 pounds lighter with far fewer lines on my face and far more questions than answers

friends who have seen me at my worst and didn't think that was so terribly bad

friends who have laughed with me over the silliest of the silly things and wept with me over the most serious of burdens

friends who have prayed, and prayed, and prayed for me...and with me

almond treats, target cards, panera trips, frequent flyers, and the myriad of other random acts of kindness shared over a lifetime

birthdays, and christmases, and new years, and cornhole, and spring rolls, and chicken salad, and pound cakes, and passion plays, and weddings, and babies, and funerals shared...

the beauty of priority in long relationships...priority to work through time, and distance, and hurt, and misunderstanding...priority to forgive and love unconditionally. 

the precious certainty that what we've shared so far is nothing compared to what we have to look forward to... here as we grow old together, sharing the joy and pain that comes with life...and continuing on through eternity (yaay!).  this certainty brings me much joy, because there is simply never enough time to love enough.

Happy Monday!
Renee

2 comments:

Darlene said...

I am thankful for YOU and for who you are. I love you and I miss you.

Anonymous said...

mmmm I am glad you are my friend! Love you mama.

Post a Comment