Friday, April 15, 2011

Five minute Friday: Distance

It is quite early, approximately 1:44 in the a-m around here, and I'm covering a little distance myself in the morning to get some grandchildren-lovin', so let's get right to it, shall we?  :)


{Start}
 
It's interesting this subject has come up this week, because I've been thinking a lot about distance over these last few days.
 
I've been missing Katie & company quite a bit and whining about the number of miles (not that many!) between my front door and my grandchildren's hugs.
 
And I'm still basking in the joy of spending last week with one of my most precious friends, and feeling all sad and blue because I am acutely aware that it takes approximately 24 hours to drive from my house to hers.
 
She moved to Houston last summer and somehow Houston feels even farther away this week...
 
I might have shed a tear or six the morning she left.
 
sigh.
 
It is highly unlikely that I'll hop into my tired little car again and drive across tarnation to get to her place anytime soon.  Any future trips will likely involve an airplane and probably a carry-on or three.
 
We can go for days or more days without talking on the phone, but five seconds after answering her ring, and instantly upon seeing each other, it is as if no time has passed at all.
 
As I've grown older I've made a starling discovery.
 
Distance isn't so much about the miles between us...
 
or the time between us.
 
It's mostly about the heart. 
 
We have not lived in the same city in many years, but our relationship is rock-solid and has stood against  the test of time, and distraction, and miles.
 
...and this confirms my suspicion that if we truly love we can remain connected whether that part of my heart is 24 hard-driving hours away - or right next door.
 
I suspect when it comes to the people knit with my heart, distance is merely a state of mind.
 
{Stop}
 
 
 
 
Happy Friday!
Renee

p.s.  I totally stole this picture off Tana's Facebook.  She doesn't mind.  She loves me.  I would have liked to have a pic of the two of us together but that would have taken me ages to find and thus thwarted the whole point of five-minute Friday.  Thanks for the picture, Tana, and thanks for being my friend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

a riend like that is a blessing indeed!

Claire said...

Thank heavens for friends like that!

Cxx

Hilary said...

Distance IS about the heart! Thank you for the wonderful reminder.

Michelle said...

I have several friends who are many miles away. I can completely relate to your "Distance" post. It's like there is a thread from my heart to their hearts and it is connected, never snaps apart and is only strengthened when we gather to share our hearts. Friendships that are rooted in our very souls are such perfectly wonderful gifts from God. Thanks for sharing your 5 minutes with lil' ol' me.

Renee said...

Thank you so much Mama, Claire, and Hilary, for dropping by and for leaving me a comment :) I really appreciating you taking the time to let me know you were here and giving me the chance to "meet" you. I look forward to visiting each of you over the weekend!

Renee said...

God gives us so much more than we deserve, doesn't He, Michelle :) I have a handful of decades-long friendships that I treasure more with each passing day, and I wouldn't trade those relationships for anything this world could give me for sure. Thank you so much for dropping me a line :) I'm heading over to "your place" right now!

HeARTworks said...

Friends are truly blessings! I have a lot of friends who have immigrated from here (Philippines) to the US, Canada, and Australia. I miss them, but at least now we can email, and stay in touch through facebook! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Post a Comment