Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A bit of a setback

I dipped my big toe back into the crazy today.

I went Christmas shopping. at the mall. and Target. and other places I don't want to say or my daughters might figure out what they are getting for Christmas.

And y'all.  It made me tired.  A lot.

Accidentally and without even trying I spent what I consider to be a lot of money and I'm not even finished.  And I feel all anxious and panicky and broke and concerned about how in the world I'm going to get it all taken care of.

This is why I dislike leaving my house in December.  I much prefer to stay within the confines of my own home listening to my newfavorite music on the Pandora and pretending the world hasn't gone stark raving mad.

But since I'm down to a couple of weeks from the big day I decided I had to venture out.  It could have been worse...most people were nice & rather smiley.  Over the course of about 10 hours I had only one of the little tiny sugar cookies at the Cookie Company but it made me very, very happy.  I also indulged in a Chick Fil-a original chicken sandwich, as well as a slice of cheese pizza from Sbarro.

and a Pepsi.

I have no idea why I consider this to be newsworthy, but all in all the naughty eating was thoroughly enjoyable. 

I also rediscovered that the best laid plans always hit a kink, and where I thought I had everything all figured out in the who-is-getting-what department I have now hit a snag and one of my recipients, i.e. Andrew, has no gift.  I also discovered my RLE (shorthand for right lower extremity) still hurts when I try to get up and move. 

And finally, I was reminded once again that no matter how much fun it might appear - a day filled with spending and choosing and running around like a chicken with her head cut off, with a little bit of cramming a job in the middle of it all, can steal every last bit of my desperately-desired, hard-won peace of mind and overall lack of stomach knotty-ness. 

I go back into hibernation starting right now.

And in all seriousness, I would appreciate your prayers :)

Hope your Tuesday is happy,
Renee

p.s.  Some refocusing with another favorite...  Yaay Jesus!!

1 comment:

Melissa Campbell said...

I laugh, but I have not been as brave as you, only venturing to Wal-mart with my husband, so you know I wasn't there for long.

I have ordered a couple of gifts online. But I am determined not to overspend, overindulge, or overtax my peace of mind this year. I am becoming content with less, with simple, with giving as it was meant to be.

I believe this Christmas is a transition of sorts, away from the rush and madness, into the still and peaceful. It may take the girls a while to catch up. Transition can be painful.

Prayers are lifted for you and your family. Wishing you a very, Merry Christmas!

Post a Comment