Wednesday, July 4, 2012

baked chicken parmesan. our forefathers would have loved it


Katie pinned this recipe on Pinterest weeks ago and I knew it had promise.  It was simple to put together and every ingredient is yummy.  

In my opinion the ingredients have to be yummy if you want the end result to be, well, yummy.


So I kept it in the back of my mind and while we were at the beach I tried it out on my willing test group.


Guess what?  It was yummy.


And embarrassingly easy. 


No kidding, from the time I hopped up from work to the time I set the oven timer I clocked no more than 10 minutes...I think it was actually about eight, if truth be told.  



Baked Chicken Parmesan






Just take a 9 x 13 baking dish and add a bit of olive oil, crushed garlic, and red pepper flakes to the bottom...and on top of that place your chicken.


Spread the marinara over the chicken until covered.  The recipe called for 2 cups but I went ahead and used the whole jar.  I'm sure it would be yummy with homemade sauce (always better!) but we were at the beach and I wanted to keep things as simple as possible.


Sprinkle the basil on top...

(p.s.  The basil is important.   It definitely added a great layer of flavor I wouldn't have wanted to miss.)


...Then add one-half of the cheese, sprinkle the croutons over the cheese, and finish up with the rest of the cheese.


I let it bake about an hour at 350 and served it over angel hair.


The croutons were saucy on the bottom and crunchy on the top, and we ate every last bit of it.  It might have been my best ever served it to guests and had never tried it before recipe.


Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
hot red pepper flakes, to taste
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used tenders)
Marinara sauce
1/4 cup chopped basil
8 oz mozzarella, shredded
4 oz Parmesan, grated
1 (5-oz) package garlic croutons


Let me know if you try it - I'd love to hear what you think.



Happy Fourth of July!







p.s.  Click on the yellow links to enjoy the original video recipe.  It's fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment