Friday, January 7, 2011

Five O'Clock News

I have all kinds of important thoughts jumbled up in my head.  Serious thoughts about time gone by and time up ahead...self-indulgent thoughts about how it doesn't seem to matter whether I drink Pepsi or water, I will never again fit into the clothes I wore when I was but a child last year...sentimental thoughts about how my Shayne-y is turning into a man right in front of my face, and probably other kinds of thoughts that I have forgotten at the moment ...but for the life of me I can't make any sense of them at the moment.  So I'm going to just let it go for the time being.  You can't force a masterpiece.  Sometimes the genius just needs to simmer a bit.

So for now I'm just going to give you my breaking news.  kind've a World News Tonight, except it's only my world and it's bright & early in the a.m. 

Moving on.

1.  I finally polished off the bulk of the leftover goodness that was my menu for the past couple of weeks....only to pull out the M&Ms last night.  I don't even know what to say.

2.  Yesterday I  was so sleepy all day that nearly every thought in my head was preceded with and then followed by I am so sleepy WHEN can I go to bed?  This made for very coherent conversation when talking to my boss on the phone.

3.  Speaking of work (kinda sorta), I trashed an expense check the other day.  Like, literally threw away a check.  I was 80% willing to just let it go and forget the (much needed) money because I was so embarrassed to tell the office.  However, when I found myself chatting with the office on a different, unrelated goof-up on my part I decided I might as well come clean.  They were very gracious and didn't laugh in my face, but I suspect they might likely have talked about me behind my back. 

Can't say I blame 'em.

4.  I dropped my laptop today.  Well, that's not quite true.  I actually tripped on the power cord and knocked it onto the floor, where it landed open and completely flat, upside down.  I was so afraid to even pick it up and look.  It is still functioning, but I fear it is not long for this earth.  I was actually talking earlier about how I'm concerned for its long-term prognosis, and now this.  Can I just say - and I mean this with all kinds of sincerity and mercy toward myself but GOOD GRIEF.

5.  It's Friday and I can't even believe it.  I don't have a single party planned...no cookies to bake/eat...no doggone traditional Christmas cupcakes to bake/eat...no sweet potato casserole to prepare/eat...what am I going to eat??

6.  Finally, in perhaps the most tragic story of this report, my slippers died this week.  I can't even tell you how sad this makes me for both practical and sentimental reasons.  For one thing, I have cold feet all. the. time.  and for another I don't even know how long I've been wearing these slippers but I can say with confidence that it has been many years.  I imagine my kids probably gave them to me for Christmas at one point or another and I literally wear them every single day.  The poor things were exhausted.  I knew they had to go when I started picking  up chunks of the rubber soles off the living room floor, off the kitchen floor, off the bathroom...you get the idea.

That's it.  That's all the mind-blowing, earth-shattering news that I have to report. 

Now go forth and be thankful that you don't have to walk a mile in my tattered shoes. 

Have a lovely, happy Friday!
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment