Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Intentionality, or intentionalness...or something like that

I've spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks thinking about the last twelve months, what I would do differently if I could, what I feel peaceful about, and what I would like the coming twelve months to look like.



I love what Ann had to say about looking to the year to come in this post.  She likes to name the upcoming year and then sets her course accordingly.  I thought this was a splendid idea, so I set out to think about what name I might find appropriate for me and my very own 2011.

Through the years I have found that I can be all about the great idea, but oh the struggle that is my follow-through...

I think a lot of good thinks...but they never get past my initial thinking.

Between being easily distracted and my chronic procrastinitis, my results tend to be abysmal. 

I write dozens of beautiful notes in my head.  I throw out the "let me know if I can help's" and the "just drop me a call's," and even the "let's do lunch sometime's" on a regular basis, but alas, lack of follow-through.

I also tend to be reactive in my days.  I guess it goes along with my "WHATever" personality...but ambitious I am not.  This means sometimes a whole lot of not a lot gets done.

So I've named 2011 my Year of Being Intentional

Nothing fancy.  I just want to finish what I start... and start something!  I want to be a little more proactive and a little less reactive.  God has gifted me with a finite period of time here to make a difference.  I want to honor Him with my recognition of the gift that is time and make it count.

I have a couple of things on my heart that I want to spend this year praying over.  No forging ahead or even talking it to death, just quiet prayer and contemplation over how He might want me to proceed.

I have been wanting to memorize more Scripture.  I used to do this all the time but somewhere along the way I stopped.  Again, no grandiose plans...just slow and steady memorization.  I joined in with about 9,000 others(!) through Beth Moore's blog. 

I have had Francis Chan's Crazy Love for months & months and have yet to pick it up and read it.  I have no idea why...but that is now on my ASAP list.

I also really, really want to make a difference in someone's life this year.  I don't know who...or how...or when, but I'm praying that God will bring someone into my life who needs something that I can give. 

Sounds simple, enough, doesn't it.  I guess we shall see!  I would love it if you would keep me accountable, and I'll keep you posted on how being intentional is working out for me :)

Happy Tuesday!
Renee

p.s. That's my grandson up top...couldn't you just eat him up :)  Interestingly enough I have no trouble whatsoever being proactive with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment