Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tumbling Idols

Hi y'all :)  I'm back home & will tell you about my (somewhat) impromptu road trip a bit later, but I just had to share what God has been showing me this morning.  It seems everything I've read this morning has shown me yet another way that I'm still all about me!  How in the world can that be??  I will never ever understand the dichotomy between my seemingly never-ending supply of "self-esteem/worth" issues and my never-ending pride issues.  (pretty sure they go hand-in-hand!)

Sigh.

I love, love, love Psalm 19:14.  I imagine I'll officially memorize it sometime this year.  (It's another one that I know exists and can find it if I search for it, but it isn't embedded deep in my brain for instant recall.) 

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD my Rock and my Redeemer.

I have to say I'm pretty not-too-terrible at the words of my mouth part, but oh how I want the meditations of my heart to catch up! 

* * * * * * *

And then I popped onto Ann's post this morning on prayer and good GRIEF the conviction.  Yet another spotlight shining on even more idolatry in my life.  She put it so beautifully - and succinctly - - anything that I put ahead of my God time is sheer idolatry, whether it's chatting with you on this blog (even if I'm chatting about HIM!) or tackling the dirty dishes in my sink.  Who am I to for one second think my agenda is more important than His??

* * * * * * *

I then peeked in on Edie's page to see how her family is holding up, and there is C.S. Lewis right there in my face...again sort of/kind of dealing with the whole pride versus humility thing.  The quote from Mere Christianity is really addressing God's willingness to stoop down to basically scoop us up, but the line that really struck me was

"...It is a poor thing to strike our colors to God when the ship is going down under us,
a poor thing to come to him as a last resort, to offer up "our own"
when it is no longer worth keeping..."

Ouch.

I know He is there for me when I have lost everything and am in despair, and He wants to be! but oh how I want to reach for Him when life is feeling kind've comfortable and un-miserable.  I want to prioritize Him in my day and in my heart. 

Oh how I want my idols to tumble.

Renee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I love you mama. We need to catch up soon.

Building Walls said...

This was an AWESOME post... thank you thank you thank you for thinking through this and writing it down... it's challenged me in the best of ways forward... I've come back to mull through it 3 times today :) I love your blog :) AND you.

Renee said...

I love you, too Lauren :) I agree...it has been much, MUCH too long. Have a good day!

Renee said...

Mary I am SO glad my incoherent rambling struck your heart... and interestingly enough I STILL love ya more than pepsi on ice.

Post a Comment