Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Tree

I'm thinking you might as well find out sooner rather than later, if you haven't already.

You are reading the ramblings of a crazy person.

It's true. 

I have spent the last couple of days spinning round and round in circles, all while accomplishing precious little.  Although it is true that I do have a real, live tree sitting standing in my living room all proud and good-smelling.  And my hands do smell like said tree, which is is also not at all unpleasant.  I also have some delightful Christmas potpourri simmering on the stove that makes me want to sing Christmas carols while eating a ham. I also ate two hot dogs with chili and mayo for lunch.  That would be two.  TWO.

But that doesn't negate the indisputable fact that I'm a crazy person...

I've been battling with my frugal self about buying a good-smelling tree this year as opposed to using the old, shape-each-stinkin'-branch-at-a-time artificial tree.  I finally decided to go nuts and spring for the thirty bucks Food Lion (sorry Dan!) is charging for pretty Fraser firs.  I even wheedled sweet-talked a promise to help get it home from Shayne the afternoon before.  I was Nan With a Plan and feeling good.

Until I got home later that night and thought about springing for the cash for something I can live without.  So I texted him and told him his services would no longer be required and called it a night.  The next day I dragged that huge Rubbermaid box out of storage and into my living room, sorted the aggravating branches into approximately 200 different piles, and commenced some magic-making.

After setting up the stand and shaping three somewhat floppy branches I'm sorry to report that I was fussing and griping and getting cranky.  and this right in the middle of all the fa-la-la-ing going on via Pandora.  So right then and there I decided thirty bucks was not too high a price for a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME, threw on my jeans & flip flops, and headed out to my local Food Lion Store (sorry Dan!).

I have a small car, but the back seats fold down so I figured I could handle things on my own.  Mainly because I almost always handle things on my own.  Well I FIGURED WRONG.  After a frustrating experience with Apathetic Food Lion Guy (sorry Dan!) I finally swallowed my pride & called Shayne back.  He and his buddy came to my rescue, and only a couple of hours after devising Christmas Tree Plan B
I had a tree in a stand.  And a mess.

But it smelled really good.

I got it semi-decorated and by then it was time to go to work, after which I engaged in a bit of blog tinkering, and then visited with my friend The Insomnia to round things out.

Tuesday I spent the better part of the day tearing scrap branches off of larger branches and tucking them into random pitcher-like containers....all the while fussing to myself about how I will be most assuredly despairing of all the dumb needles in approximately three days.

But today it smells really good.

And frankly, considering the chaotic disaster area-ness that is my home three days into my alleged one-day project, I need all the good I can find.

Still a mess.

Happy Wednesday:)

No comments:

Post a Comment