Friday, May 6, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Motherhood Should Come With...



It's Friday!  So without preamble...



{Start}


I think motherhood should come with a pause button so we can sit and stay a while in those precious times when everything lines up just right, and we are all happy and smiling and clean...and life feels just too full to bear.

It should also come with a rewind button so we can hop back just a bit (or a lot!) and undo the cranky tones and frowny faces and exasperated sighs and distracted hearts - -

- - and also so we can re-do the big days, like when she toddled into my arms that first time, or that first day of school...the day I drove away from her freshman dorm or that last night with my babies sleeping in their own beds before becoming married women.  


Yes, a go-back button would be quite desirable to help grab the tail of those days that fly by in a lightening-fast blur.


That little hollering bundle of joy should come with an unlimited supply of tissues, and energy, and extra time - and an always-turned-on video camera to capture all the things going unnoticed while busy wiping up the messes.

Motherhood should come with perspective, and patience, a great sense of humor, clear priorities, and an unlimited supply of understanding the big picture.


Right from the start, motherhood should come with a warning that my heart will never be truly safe again, that it will fill with unfathomable highs and break with remarkable ease.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.



{Stop}



Happy Friday!



p.s.  I went over approximately five minutes on this one.  To my shame that means I doubled my time limit.  Very not cool, I know.  I'm officially sorry for breaking the rules - - next week I'm back on the straight and narrow, so to speak :)  Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh, yes, I want an "always-turned-on video camera" too! And, I agree... I wouldn't want motherhood in any other way. I'm so thankful for this gracious calling.

Great five minute post!

Renee said...

Thanks Caroline! We are very blessed, aren't we :) Have a great weekend.

Melissa_Rae said...

"Motherhood should come with perspective, and patience, a great sense of humor, clear priorities, and an unlimited supply of understanding the big picture."

Boy am I in hearty need of these tools in my toolbox right now! Thank you for the gentle reminder, and as someone in the midst of the toddler days I genuinely appreciate your perspective! :)

Renee said...

Isn't it interesting, Melissa, how some of the greatest times in our lives (and toddlerhood is certainly full of it, HA) are also the times we are closest to losing our ever-lovin' minds? I've been praying for you and your family tonight. Hope Silas is feeling a little better.

AC said...

aww yes a remote control for motherhood would be great I'd hit pause and rewind buttons all the time.

JavaMama said...

Oh yes...all of those buttons would be wonderful! Do overs and repeats would be such a treat! Time flits by us too quickly!!

Amy W Thornton said...

Great post Renee. I too would love an "unlimited supply of understanding the big picture." I tend to get lost in the forest looking for a particular tree. And if you ever figure out that video camera thing, let us know, okay? Blessings on you today - Smiles -

Michelle said...

This is a great 5 minute post! Pause and rewind buttons, patience, perspective and unlimited supplies of understanding. Great content, Renee, GREAT!

Theresa Miller said...

The pause, the rewind...tempting, isn't it? I guess, though, we'd miss the beauty of the soundtrack that plays through all of it. {Breathe} It's awakening to think there's one shot. Oh, Grace. I need you.

Thanks for the thought-provoking post!

Kris said...

yes! I need a pause button and a rewind as well! what agreat post. I totally identify with all of this!
Blessings to you and yours!

Lauren said...

That was beautiful! I agree with all of it. Thanks for sharing. You are such a talented writer.

Post a Comment