Friday, August 12, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Beauty




Okay y'all, it's time for some no-stress writing Friday-style.  Therefore, I'm going to dive right into my write-for-five-minutes-and-then-call-it-a-night assignment. 


And then I'm going to call it a night :)



p.s.  No pictures because Blogger?  Yeah.  Mad at me again.



Here we go!




{Start}



On Beauty



This is an interesting topic for me today coming right on the heels of seeing The Help yesterday.  One of the things that struck me in the movie was recognizing all the simmering nastiness lying beneath the surface in those pretty, pretty girls...which in turn made them not at all pretty - and frankly rather hard to even look at. 


But then there were other women in the film who were tired and worn down, and certainly without all the trappings that we use to make us more atractive, and I found myself weeping from the beauty of their courage, and strength, and dignity.



That seeming contradiction got me to thinking about different people I've seen lately who do not fit the traditional stereotypes of beautiful at all but draw me in like a moth to a flame.


Like the sweet couple I saw walking ahead of me in the mall last weekend, stooped over with age and life, and most surely living in their 8th or 9th decade.  As they shuffled along, somewhat lost in their own shared world, I saw little physical evidence of the strong young couple they once were.  But when I noticed his arm firmly around her I knew, even without seeing their faces or hearing their story, that he loved her.  Frankly, I can't recall the last time I've seen such a pure expression of love like that in the walls of that local mall...and as the tears sprang up I knew I was staring down at beauty at its very best. 


I don't know a lot in life but this I know for certain.  Beauty is not about blue eyes, or straight shoulders, or even thin waists.



To me, beauty is in the loving.



And loving well?  Exquisite.




{Stop}





Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment