Friday, February 10, 2012

Pinning Can Be a Productive Endeavor From Time to Time...See?

Ah Pinterest.

What did I do with myself before I discovered I could spend way too much time
filling my mind with great ideas that will likely go nowhere?


Source: food52.com via Renee on Pinterest





I feel I might as well just tell you.  You're bound to find out somehow.


My follow-through is broken.


It's been in need of repair for years now.


However, I have actually, in real life standing in my very own kitchen, tried a few or a couple
of the recipes I pinned, and I thought you might like to know how they turned out.  

I'd hate for you to waste your time finding something I've pinned only to find out YUCK.


I'm here to serve.


I aim to please.


(Cause I love ya.)




I shall refrain from talking about things like the home-baked banana chips that in my humble opinion were a Big FAIL.  Mainly because that would be mean.  Also, yummy is somewhat subjective, and if we're really honest with ourselves we know we can't blame the author for the buttered cabbage tasting like...buttered cabbage.  




That being said...



These baked Parmesan tomatoes were a big hit for my discriminating palate.  They were easy as pie to throw together and I'm not lying when I tell you I made pan of these and called them dinner.  

Verdict?  Two thumbs up.





Now the Baked Oatmeal with Strawberries, Banana and Chocolate was kind've a mixed bag for me.  It was actually quite tasty.  The flavors blended well, and I really liked the chocolate chips thrown in with the fruit...but I did have a couple of problems.  First off, it makes quite a bit.  I halved the recipe but still ended up throwing half of it out.  It had a pretty short "shelf-life," and I do live alone, ya know.  

This would be much better if you aren't all alone in the world.

(insert melodramatic, woe-is-me music here.)  

Also, I've tried and tried, but as it turns out I'm not a big fan of baked oatmeal. 
Which is weird because I really, really love oatmeal.  

Verdict?  Thumb up/thumb down.




Speaking of oatmeal, I've mentioned this one before so I won't bore us all with repeating myself. 

(But don't forget the blackberries is all I'm saying.) 

Verdict?  Two enthusiastic thumbs up!




I've baked this tasty delight twice...and enjoyed it about a dozen times.  These spinach lasagna rolls are allegedly on the healthier side, AND I can freeze the rolls individually.  Win/win in my book. 

Verdict?  Two enthusiastic thumbs up.









This crock pot chicken concoction also freezes beautifully, and therefore I've enjoyed it several times.  It actually makes a lot.  When I first made it I put in in a tortilla, burrito style, and it was just...okay, perhaps a touch bland and dare-I-say boring.  When I pulled some out of the freezer later I heated it on the stove, added some more salsa to jazz it up a bit, and then served it over brown rice.  NOW we're talking.  The rice and salsa transformed it into just right, propelling it to favorite status. 

Verdict?  I'd say a modified two thumbs up. 





I've said it before but it bears repeating...PW's pumpkin smoothie is quite possibly the tastiest thing I've come across in recent history.  It both fills me up and makes me feel like I've indulged in a treat.  This is hands down my favorite new recipe of the last year or so.


(p.s.  I really like most of her recipes, but in case you were wondering I'll just tell ya that I found the cheeseburger salad to be just okay.  This is quite possibly my fault.  I probably should have used sweet pickles, ha!  I'll probably give it another try eventually.)

* * *

I also really found the tip about putting together smoothie packets for the freezer very handy.  Again, living alone it's often hard for me to eat up fresh fruits and what-not before they start to get old.  I even froze the yogurt in ice cube trays & then popped them out.  Easy peasy!


So what's next on my list of things to try?




Well, I've had my eye on this dish full of goodness for a while now.  

(Roasted vegetable enchiladas!)

(I'll let you know how it turns out)




In the meantime, have a swell Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment