Monday, May 21, 2012

hard questions and benches in the shade





Friday afternoon Elijah and I hopped in the car with his mama/my sister and headed for the far away land of Bedford.


(True story:  I can't say Bedford without thinking of George Bailey.)


We had a thoroughly tasty lunch at the local Ruby Tuesday's and then headed over to the National D-Day Memorial.  


Photo by Robin

I'm not going to tell you how long I've been meaning to get over there without actually getting over there.  To tell you would bring me great (public) shame.  

I think I'd prefer to keep my procrastinatory failures a touch more private.


Sigh.


Whatever.  


It might have taken me a year or six to get there but I can tell you right now it won't take me that long to go back.  We walked through without a "guide" and it was great, but I'm thinking I would like to do it again and let them answer some of our million questions (see below).


Regarding the below evidence picture, I might or might not have crossed a line jumped a rope to get up close and personal.  I don't really want to say.  



Photo by Robin


(And I might or might not have taken Little Man with me.)


(Does it help that we were very careful not to touch?)


(I'm pretty sure that it does.)



We weren't sure how much Elijah would actually understand, and it would be a gross understatement to say he had a few questions.


Homeboy had a zillion questions.


The questions started before we got out of the car and didn't stop until we had paid for our fountain sodas in the market after leaving.

And when I say they didn't stop I mean they didn't stop EVER. 




I have no idea how much he retained or fully understood, but he was certainly fascinated by pretty much everything, and I think the whole day made an impression on him.  


The questions can sometimes feel a little wearying, but walking through the memorial and seeing it through the eyes of a child made it all seem new to me too.


And a fresh revisiting of history is a very healthy thing.





(A Thousand Gifts #1177-1189)


young men who slept in ditches and died in foxholes so we can breathe free

breezy Fridays full of sun and benches in the shade

kind waitresses who like little boys 

mini road trips filled with sister talk and fountain drinks

rainy sundays and eating leftovers and precious friends

watching him giggle and watching them love him

tiny gardens and hard questions

generous people making sacrifices to create a place of beauty and honor





Happy Monday!

p.s.  Happy Birthday Drew!!  I love ya :)

No comments:

Post a Comment