Monday, October 17, 2011

31 Days: I Love Potato Soup


In my humble opinion, it is quite possible that potato soup is one of the greatest comfort foods ever created in the history of comfort food.  

I know from personal experience there is little in the culinary world that feeds my soul like a large bowl of some potatoes in the form of  a soup.

It can be as easy/simple/inexpensive or as difficult/complicated/extravagant as you desire...and if you go the simple route chances are you already have everything you need for dinner right in your cupboard.


I'm pretty sure potatoes are the best veggie creation ever in the history of veggies.  

(This declaration from a lifelong veggie-appreciator.)


(Evidently I'm desperately trying to incorporate a little history talk in a soup post.  I have no explanation.)


Anyhoo, I'm listing my two favorites below.  The most glaring difference?  One with cheese.  One without.  Both delightful.


Because potato soup?  It does a body good.



Renee's Potato Soup*

2 large onions
4 medium potatoes
1 can cream style corn
1 can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter
salt / pepper to taste

Dice potatoes and onions & toss them in a medium-sized pot.  Barely cover with water and boil until soft.  Take a potato masher & smush them all up & then add the corn, milk, and butter.  Stir over low heat until thoroughly warm but not boiling.   Eat until you can eat no more.

*Disclaimer!!  I did not create this recipe but have had it for many moons and have no  earthly idea where it came from so I don't know what else to call it.


Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup

2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 lb. chopped broccoli
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese
evaporated milk mixed with equal parts water
salt / pepper / onion salt to taste

(This works really well in the crock pot but of course is fine over the stove as well.)

The directions:  Dump all ingredients in a pot and cook over very low heat for a while until you can't wait any longer.  Then, as above, proceed to eat until there can be no more eating.


Let me know what ya think if you try them?


Hope you have a great day!






 **You can catch up on the rest of my 31 Days of Things I Love series right here

No comments:

Post a Comment