Friday, October 7, 2011

31 Days: I love Taking My Time in the Middle of a Hurry




Work has been crazy busy lately, so basically I've been working and sleeping, taking care of bloggy business...and then doing it again.  All in all it's not such a bad way to get through the week.  I like to be busy & tend to thrive under pressure.  It could be that's how/why I've morphed into such a procrastinator through the years...I do my best work when my back is against the wall.  And I'm just going to admit it.  I'm a bit of a running-around-like-a-chicken-with-her-head...well, you get it.

It's a gift.  and a curse.  


Perhaps a sickness.


Today has been particularly hectic for me because I finally got a good night's sleep (and y'all - that's a LOVELY thing!) and am planning to work overtime again.  So basically that gives me a window of about a couple of hours to get anything done.

But right in the middle of all my hurry I was blessed by the unexpected.


On my short list of things to do today?  Bake a cake!  This led me straight to my happy place (which just happens to be my kitchen counter), peeling apples for an apple cake.  

As I was working I let my mind wander, and an interesting thing took place.


I began to breathe slower, and taste as I chopped, and even revel in the stirring.  


I then prayed a bit for the beloved one who shared the recipe with me years ago and thought about the many ways she made my life richer.  


Y'all.  It was some good times right there in my kitchen with October floating in through the open door, as I washed up the mess I'd made with my own hands, lingering in the soapy water just a bit...loving the way all the dirty disappeared.  


I had barely begun the cleaning-up-the-mess part when the aroma of cinnamon and apples and sugar filled my kitchen, and by the time the clutter was gone I had pulled the cake from the oven and settled it in on the rack.


- - -but as I walked out of the kitchen I was surprised that I felt refreshed, renewed if you will, from the time spent on the seemingly mundane.


Breathing deep or frenzied rush... 


For the task set before me it mattered little.


The end result was the same.  


A warm apple cake cooling on my counter.



But for me?  Well.  For me breathing deep made all the difference.









**You can find the rest of my 31 Days of Things I Love series right here


No comments:

Post a Comment